Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Brush Cleaning....You wash your face, right?

Makeup brushes are THE essential tool for your makeup collection.  Whether your makeup of choice is Dior, Cover Girl, or a little of it all, great makeup brushes are key for a perfect application.  I have a mixed collection of brands, Bobbi Brown, MAC, Benefit, E.L.F., etc.... but regardless of your brushes' price tag it is so important to regularly clean and maintain them.  I have heard lots of ways to clean and disinfect them, from brush cleansers to baby shampoo but the best way I have found to cleanse and condition them is a mixture of antibacterial dish soap and olive oil.  Yes, olive oil.  I place a 50/50 mixture of soap and oil on a plate, around a tablespoon of both, and swirl my brushes in the combo, coating the bristles but avoiding contact with the metal connector that attaches the bristles to the handle.  After soaking up the mixture I swirl the brush in the palm of my hand, rinsing under the flow of water in the sink.  It is amazing how much product comes out of the brush.  I keep swirling the brush around in my palm until the water runs clear.  After I have cleansed and conditioned the brush I shape them with my hand, back to their original shape and lay them on their side, on a towel to dry.  Try to avoid drying them in a cup, brush up, as the water can leak into the metal connector, loosening the glue that connects the bristles to the handle.  Try to cleanse your brushes once a week, especially those that are used to apply creamy textured products for not only a flawless brush but to keep that skin glowing.

1 comment: